Cornelia – Moon and Sun
1. Does the shadow of the earth create the phases of the moon? No
2. What does cause the different phases of the moon?
The sun is ALWAYS shining on half of the moon (remember: even a full moon is only a half lit moon!) however depending on where the moon is during it’s orbit around the earth, we will only see the section of the moon that is lit.
3. What time does the full moon rise? Sunset
4. What phase is it at when it rises at midnight? Last Quarter
5. What are the dots on the sun called and are they cooler or hotter? Sun spots and they are cooler
6. When we looked in the telescope Cornelia told us to look for fuzz around the outside of the sun. What were we looking for? Gas explosions
7. What is the dark part of the moon and is it newer or older than the other side? The dark areas are lava fields and that is the newer side of the moon.